1. Our Commitment
VWL appreciates the importance of protecting personal information and recognises the trust placed in us when you provide us with personal information. VWL respects your privacy and complies with all applicable privacy legislation.
In this Privacy Statement:
- "VWL", "we" and "us" refer to Victorian Women Lawyers' Association Inc: and
- "personal information" refers to any information or an opinion about a person whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
2. Collection of Personal Information
2.1 Purposes for which we collect information from you
VWL collects personal information about our members, prospective members and other persons for the following purposes:
- membership of VWL;
- handling enquiries about the services provided by VWL;
- distribution of material through VWL's mailing lists;
- conducting VWL's mentoring program;
- conducting surveys and market research;
- providing services to VWL members; and
- providing information to sponsors and patrons.
2.2 Information we collect from you
The types of personal information collected by VWL include a person's name, postal address, employer's name, telephone number, facsimile number and email address.
VWL will not collect personal information about you from a third party without your consent unless we are permitted or required by law to do so.
2.3 Sensitive information
VWL does not collect sensitive personal information unless you have consented or VWL is required or permitted by law to do so.
3. If you Choose not to Provide Personal Information
You do not have to give VWL your personal information. However, if you choose not to do so, we may not be able to provide you with any or all of our servcies. More specifically, you will not be able to access the member services available on this website.
4. Use and Disclosure of your Personal Information
VWL may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose of collection or for another purpose if:
- you would reasonably expect us to disclose such information for that purpose and;
- that purpose is related (directly related if sensitive information) to the primay purpose of collection.
VWL will not otherwise use or disclose your personal information without your prior consent unless the information has been de-identified or we are requierd or permitted by law to do so. Further, VWL will not sell any personal information we collect about you.
5. Access to and Correction of Your Personal Information
VWL will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information which we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If you would like to access the personal information that we hold about you, please contact our Privacy Compliance Officer on the contact details below who will respond to you within 30 days. You can also request that your personal information be corrected or deleted from our database. However, VWL will not be able to provide membership services to you if your personal information is deleted from our database.
6. VWL Right to Refuse Access or Correction
VWL reserves its right to refuse your request for access or correction if it is not required to provide access under privacy legislation, for example, if VWL considers your request to be frivolous or vexatious.
If VWL refused your request, we will give you our reasons. If we refuse your request to correct the information that we hold about you, we will give you the opportunity to place a statement of what you consider to be correct personal information, and then we place this statement with the personal information we hold about you.
7. Security of Information Held by VWL
VWL will take all resonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold about you from loss, unauthorised access, destruction, misuse, modification or disclosure. This includes appropriate measures to protect electronic materials and materials stored and generated in hard copy.
You should be aware that the Internet is not a sccure environment. If you use the Internet to send us information, including your email address, it is sent at your own risk.
8. Updating Our Privacy Statement
VWL reserves its right to amend or update the Privacy Statement from time to time. Any changes to our Privacy Statement will be published on our website.
9. Complaints and Further Information
If you have any complaints about VWL's privacy practices, or would like further information about our Privacy Statement, please contact our Privacy Compliance Officer.
10. Contact Details for our Privacy Compliance Officer
Telephone: 0473 344 065
Address: GPO Box 2314 Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia